Chocolate Cauliflower Brownies (vegan, gf, low carb)

reading time: 2 min



CAULIFLOWER Brownies? You must think I'm crazy. And I don't even blame you, haha!

I do have a past of making vegetable sweets that don't taste like veggies - so far I've made Sweet Potato Brownies, Kidney Bean Brownies, and even Avocado Brownies. But I agree that the idea of cauliflower brownies sounds quite daring, even for me.

I can assure you though - these brownies do not taste like cauliflower at all. My mom even said, these are her favourite brownies of all! They are soft, moist, sweet, rich and chocolaty. Oh, and secretly healthy of course.

The recipe I used for these babies was taken from I Breathe I'm Hungry - I "veganized" the ingredients and adjusted everything to my preference.


CHOCOLATE BROWNIES made with cauliflower

adapted from Mellissa Sevigny @I Breathe I'm Hungry 

Preparation time: 45 mins
Main ingredients: cauliflower, chocolate, almond
difficulty level: easy
makes: about 20 brownie squares
suitable for: vegan, lactose-free, wheat-free, soy-free, low carb

Ingredients

Brownies
2 cup steamed cauliflower
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk 
50g vegan dark chocolate (i used a 50% one)
2 tbsp margarine 
1/4 cup agave syrup 
3 flax eggs 
3/4 cups ground almonds
1/4 cups wholegrain spelt flour or a gluten-free flour
1/2 cup coconut flour (I simply ground shredded coconut in a blender)
1/2 cup cacao powder 
3 tsp coconut blossom sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon 
1/2 tsp baking powder 
pinch of salt

Glaze
100g vegan dark chocolate + 2 tbsp margarine OR approx. 8 tbsp raw cacao powder + 8 tbsp agave syrup
shredded coconut as garnish 


Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°F or 175°C.

First, whisk together your flax eggs and set aside in the fridge. Here's how.  

After chopping and steaming your cauliflower, purée the cauliflower and your almond milk in a food processor or blender (I used an immersion blender) until a smooth cream forms. You don't want any cauli chunks in there!

Combine all dry ingredients (almonds, spelt flour, coconut flour, cacao, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt) in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.

Add your chocolate and margarine to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for a minute or so - there may be a few small chunks of chocolate still not melted and that's okay. Scrape the melted chocolate mixture into the mixing bowl. Add the cauli almond milk purée, as well as the agave syrup and the refrigerated flaxeggs. Use a hand mixer to combine thoroughly

Grease a 10 x 10 baking pan and pour the batter into it. Spread evenly. Bake for 25 - 35 minutes. Remove and cool before cutting.

I also added a layer of chocolate glaze (melted chocolate + margarine) with shredded coconut on top.



Other secret vegetable desserts you might enjoy:

http://be-alice.blogspot.com/2015/03/fudgy-chocolate-sweet-potato-brownies.html
Chocolate Sweet Potato Brownies (vegan & gf)
http://be-alice.blogspot.com/2014/12/fudgy-chocolate-brownies-vegan-gluten.html
Chocolate Kidney Bean Brownies (vegan & gf)
http://be-alice.blogspot.com/2015/05/dark-chocolate-avocado-brownies-vegan.html
Dark Chocolate Avocado Brownies (vegan & gf)



Maisy

0 Comments